Monday, October 13, 2008

Trying to get an appointment with the neurosurgeon

So the fancy neurology eye doctor guy is actually a neuro-ophthalmologist. I finally looked it up. I feel stupid. I didn't even know what kind of a doctor he was. I've decided that I don't like him. Nyah! He called me on my cell phone while I was driving to tell me what I already suspected, that I have a tumor behind my right eyeball. A benign tumor. Well thank God it's benign, eh? "Good" I said. I think maybe that threw him a little, because that's all he told me. "Well, how big is it?" I asked. He gave me measurments in centimeters, which I couldn't picture. "The size of a grape, a golf ball, a tennis ball?" I asked. "About the size of a golf ball" he said. "You should go see a neurosurgeon" he said. And then he just kind of left me up in the air. You'd think he'd never diagnosed somebody with a brain tumor before. "Do you want to somebody here in town?" he asked me. "Yeah, sure" I said. What was I supposed to say? I don't know one neurosurgeon from another. Hey, man, you're the fucking doctor! I think he just pulled a name out of thin air. This was at 4:00 Friday afternoon. I scribbled the name down on a scrap of paper while I was stopped at a red light. The light turned green and I had to drive a few more blocks until I got to a place where I could pull over. Then I immediately called the neurosurgeon's office. They had closed at 3:00, would reopen at 8:00 Monday morning. I would have to wait all weekend to even be able to find out how soon I could get an appointment. It was a long scary weekend full of uncertainty. Monday morning, I watched the hands of the clock as 8:00 rolled around. I called the instant I could. "Next available appointment is Nov 11" I was told.

! ! ! !

You've got to be fucking kidding me. Lady, I've got a brain tumor! (Of course, everyone who calls their office has a brain tumor. Get in line!) I'm supposed to wait an entire month before I can even get a prognosis?!?!?

This is unacceptable. I'm calling the neuro-ophthalmologist back and get a different referral. But his office doesn't open until 9.

The second eye doctor, the colleague with the expertise, he and Dr. Ma spoiled me. They were so sweet and caring. They took care of me. The colleague even called the neuro-ophthalmologist himself for me while I was there to get them to sqeeze in a timely appointment for me. I didn't realize how lucky I was to have such sweet and caring doctors as those two. Now I'm on my own I guess. Have to learn how to navigate this maze by myself. Just like everyone else.

No comments: